Hey y’all! I thought I’d share my technique for an everyday loose curl…which I wear almost every day. 😉 What I like about this style is that it looks pulled together, but it doesn’t look like a “style” per se. I’ve mentioned it before, but I hate a look that feels fussy or that makes me feel like I’m trying too hard. This is actually of my go to hairstyle on stage and off, the main difference is that when I’m performing, I tease it a bit more for volume, and I usually use a slightly smaller barrel on my curling wand to get a little bit more defined curl. Here we go:
- I start with my hair blown out straight, and section the hair off with a large hair clip so it’s easier to curl.
- If I’m dealing with day old hair from another style I will straighten it *lightly* with a flat iron.
- Grab about a 1” section of hair.
- Wrap hair around wand in the direction away from your face with the wand pointing down. I use a 1” or a 1.25” wand depending on on how loose I want the curl to be. I find wands make for a more natural curl than a traditional iron. Don’t start the curl too close to your scalp and leave an inch or two at the end. Wait several seconds (more than 5 but less than 10).
- Now, take the end of the piece you just curled and twist the curled hair using your finger and a circular motion away form your face.
- Work your way around your head in sections. You can vary the size of the pieces you’re curling slightly to make a more natural, less uniform curl.
- When you get to the top of your hair, use slightly smaller sections. Also, start the curl a little further down away from your scalp. I like to angle the wand back instead of down for this part because it styles the hair slightly out of your face.
- Put a little styling wax in your hand and spritz a spray or two (or a drop or two) of hair oil onto the wax and mix the two together. Flip your head over (not pictured 🙂 ) and work the wax mixture through your hair.
- To add volume, or to make the hair a little wilder/messier, grab a teasing comb. [This teasing comb is my BIGGEST stage hair secret—it’s works like magic!]
- Using the metal end of the teasing comb, tease a few sections of hair up towards the top. (Don’t go too crazy!) Conversely, you can also use the metal end of the teasing comb the loosen the curl by combing it down the hair, instead of up. Spritz with your favorite hairspray!
*another tip: if the curl is tighter than you hoped, tug on the piece of hair as soon as you take it off the wand, while it’s still hot, to loosen it. Or…you can run a flat iron over several pieces to make the curl more of a wave.
Products: Here are a couple wands: Pricey, but with interchangeable wand sizes. Reasonable but reliable. Tapered and *on sale.” Styling wax: R+CO, good price, Hair oil: drugstore, Davines, Moroccon Oil. Hairspray: Davines (on sale), Smells amazing.
Happy Curling! Give it a try, and let me know if you have any questions in the comments! xox